Road Fireman's Lantern
This is a wonderful example of early railroad
memorabilia that was turned into a presentation piece from one Brother to
another. It is a railroad fireman's lantern that was used to light all
the other kerosene lamps and lanterns found on trains before the days of
electricity. This piece was presented to Brother L. W. Ferguson by
Brother G. T. Strong in 1924 as a token of their mutual friendship. It
bears the Shrine of North America logo on the front and the Odd Fellows logo
on the reverse. Both of these Brethren worked on the Virginian
Railroad. It is made entirely of copper and measures 11 inches long; 3
1/2 inches wide and 5 inches tall.
We would like to give a special
"Thanks" to Avis Ferguson (the granddaughter of L. W. Ferguson) for donating
this beautiful lantern to our museum.