MEMBRANE OF THE BRAIN OF MACROPROSOPUS.
58. IN the hollow of the skull is the aŽrial
membrane of the supreme hidden Wisdom, which is nowhere disclosed; and it is
not found, and it is not opened.
59. And that membrane enshroudeth the brain of
the hidden Wisdom, and therefore is that Wisdom covered, because it is not
opened through that membrane.
60. And that brain, which is itself the hidden
Wisdom, is silent and remaineth tranquil in its place, like good wine upon its
61. And this is that which they say:--Hidden is
science of the Ancient One, and His brain is
calm and concealed.
62. And that membrane hath an outlet
towards Microprosopus, and on that account is His brain extended, and goeth
forth by thirty and two paths. 1
63. This is that same thing which is written:
"And a river went forth out of Eden" (Gen. ii. 7). But for what reason?
Because the membrane is (then) opened, neither doth it (completely)
enshroud the brain.
64. Nevertheless the membrane is opened from
below. And this is that which we have said: Among the signatures of the
letters (is) ThV, Tau, Th; nevertheless He impresseth it as the
sign of the Ancient of Days, from Whom dependeth the perfection of knowledge,
because He is perfect on every side, and hidden, and tranquil, and silent,
like as good wine upon its lees.
Chapter VII: Concerning the Hair of Macroprosopus