BRAIN AND THE WISDOM IN GENERAL.
168. OF this Most Holy Ancient One, Concealed
with all Concealments, there is no mention made, neither is He found.
169. For since this Head is the supreme of all
the supernals, hence He is only symbolized as a head alone without body, for
the purpose of establishing all things.
170. And He Himself is concealed, and hidden,
and kept recondite by all things.
171. His conformation is that He is formed
forth in that brain, the most hidden of all things, which is expanded and
formed forth, and hence proceedeth the superior and inferior ChSD, Chesed,
172. And the superior Chesed is formed forth
and expanded, and all things are comprehended in this concealed brain.
173. For when that White Brilliance is formed
forth in that Light, it acteth upon that which acteth upon this brain, and it
174. And the second brain dependeth from that
very glorious Influence, it is expanded into the thirty-two 1
paths, when it is illuminated, then it
shineth from that very glorious Influence. 1
175. Therefore are the Three Supernal Heads
illuminated; Two Heads, and One which comprehendeth them; and they hang in
that Influence, and by It are they comprehended.
176. Hence becometh the ornament of the beard
to be manifested, which is the occult Influence.
177. And those inferiors are conformed, like as
the Most Holy Ancient One.
178. The Three Heads surround Him; thus all
things can appear in the Three Heads; and when they are illuminated all things
depend together from Him in the Three Heads, whereof two are on the two sides,
and one which includeth them.
179. And if thou sayest, "Who is the Most Holy
Ancient One?" Come and see. The Supreme Head is that which is not known, nor
comprehended, nor designated, and that (Head) comprehendeth all things.
180. And the Two Heads are contained in Itself.
(Otherwise hang, &c.)
181. And then are all these things thus
ordained; truly Himself existeth not in numeration, nor in system, nor in
computation, but in the judgment of the heart.
182. Concerning this it is written, Ps. xxxix.
2: "I said I will take heed unto my ways, that I offend not with my tongue."
183. The place of commencement is found from
the Most Holy Ancient One, and it is illuminated by the Influence. That is the
Light of Wisdom.
184. And it is extended in thirty-two
directions, and departeth from that hidden brain, from that Light which
existeth in Itself.
185. And because the Most Holy Ancient One
shineth in the beginning (otherwise, in the wisdom), this itself is
this. And, the same is that beginning from
which manifestation is made.
186. And is conformed in the Three Heads, which
One Head includeth.
187. And those three are extended into
Microprosopus, and from them all things shine forth.
188. Thenceforth this Wisdom instituteth a
formation, and produceth a certain river which floweth down and goeth forth to
water the garden.
189. And it entereth into the head of
Microprosopus, and formeth a certain other brain.
190. And thence it is extended and floweth
forth into the whole body, and watereth all those plants (of the garden of
191. This is that which standeth written, Gen.
ii, 9: "And a river went out of Eden to water the garden, &c."
192. But also this Wisdom instituteth another
formation, and is extended and goeth into the head of Microprosopus, and
formeth another brain.
193. That is the Light from which are produced
those two rivulets which are associated together, carved out hollows in the
One Head, which is called the depth of the fountain. 1
194. Concerning which it is written, Prov. iii.
20: "In DOTh, Daath, 2 Knowledge, the
depths are broken up."
195. And it entereth into the head of
Microprosopus, and formeth another brain.
196. And thenceforth is it extended and
goeth into the interior parts of His body, and filleth all those conclaves and
assemblies of His body. 3
197. This is that same which is written, Prov.
xxiv. 4: "In Daath shall the secret places be filled."
198. And those shine from the Light of that
concealed brain which shineth in the Influence,
MZL, of the Most Holy Ancient One.
199. And all things depend mutually from
Himself, and mutually are bound together unto Himself, until He is known,
because all things are one, and HVA, Hoa, He, the Ancient One, is all
things, neither from Him can anything whatsoever be separated.
200. Into three other Lights, which are called
the Fathers, do these three Lights shine, and these fathers shine into the
children, and all things shine forth from the one place. 1
201. When He, that Ancient One, who is the
Grace of all Grace, is manifested, all things are found in light and in
202. This Eden is derived from the superior
Eden, the Concealed with all Concealments.
203. And therefore is that Eden called the
beginning in the Ancient One; neither yet, however, is there beginning or
204. And since in Him beginning and end exist
not, hence He is not called AThH, Atah, Thou; seeing that He is
concealed and not revealed. But HVA, Hoa, He, is He called.
205. But in that aspect wherein the beginning
is found, the name AThH, Atah, Thou, hath place, and the name AB, Ab,
Father. For it is written, Isa, lxiii. 16: "Since Atah, Thou, art Ab,
206. In the teaching of the school of Rav
Yeyeva the Elder, the universal rule is that Microprosopus be called AThH,
Atah, Thou; but that the most Holy Ancient One, who is concealed, be
called HVA, Hoa, He; and also with reason.
207. Now truly in that place wherein beginning
is found, is He thus called, although He is concealed.
208. And therefrom is the beginning, and it is
called AThH, Atha, Thou; and He is the Father of the Fathers.
20g. And that Father proceedeth from the Most
Holy Ancient One, like as it is written, Job. xxviii. 12: "And ChKMH,
Chokmah, 1 Wisdom, is found from AIN, Ain,
the Negatively Existent One;" and therefore is He not known.
210. Come and see! It is written, ibid.
22: "The Elohim have known the path;" His path, properly speaking.
211. But again, further on: VHVA, Va-Hoa,
and He Himself knoweth His place; "His place properly speaking; much more His
path; and much more this WISDOM which is concealed in the Most Holy Ancient
212. This Wisdom is the beginning of all
things. Thencefrom are expanded the thirty-two paths: ShBILIN, Shebilin,
Paths, I say; and not ARChIN, Archin, Byways.
213. And in them is the Law comprehended,
in the twenty-two letters and in the ten utterances. 2
214. This Chokmah is the Father of Fathers, and
in this Chokmah is beginning and end discovered; and therefore is there one
Chokmah supernal, and another Chokmah inferior.
215. When Chokmah is extended, then is He
called the Father of Fathers, for in none else are all things comprehended
save in Him. (Otherwise, when they are expanded all things are called Chokmoth, 3
and the Father of Fathers; all things are comprehended in no place, save
20. As it is written, Ps. civ. 25: "All things
in Chokmah hast Thou formed."
217. Rabbi Schimeon lifted up his hands, and
rejoiced, and said: Assuredly it is Eden or Paradise, and all things have
their operation in this hour.
ten numbers and twenty-two letters.
277:1 MZL =
40 + 7 + 30 = 77, which is OZ, Strength or Vigour. This Gematria is worthy of
note as giving the idea of foundational power.
i.e., the containing power.
is the conjunction of Chokmah and Binah. (See "Book of Concealed Mystery," ch.
i. § 40.)
Greater Holy Assembly," ch. xxviii § 566.
is analogous to the teaching of the "Sepher Yetzirah," that the Three Mothers
A, M, Sh, radiate into three paternal forms of the same. A, M, and Sh,
symbolize the potencies of Air, Water, and Fire.
commencement denotes end, and end denotes commencement; how, then, in the
Absolute can there be either. Nevertheless, in the Absolute must we seek for
the hypothetical starting-point of life.
the student carefully note that this is the second Sephira, the I of IHVH, the
Father proceeding from Macroprosopus, Kether, as He proceedeth from Ain Soph.
Sephiroth, or numbers.
Chokmoth is plural of Chokmah, Wisdom.
Chapter VIII: Concerning the Father and Mother